Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Eat food. Don't join a cult.

I am not the "cult joining" type of person.  I only joined the neighborhood association for the pot-luck lunch they hold once a year.  Cults are way too close to being "stylish" although the style may be bizarre.  I am not stylish.

I say this because I have been reading about Michael Pollan, and I pretty much like what I've read except the part about him having a "cult-like following." 

Pollan says: Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.

I can go with that.  I can almost go with the thing about not eating food your grandmother wouldn't recognize, except that my grandmothers and great grandmothers ate mostly potatoes, rudabagas, and Twinkies.  I eat much more interesting foods than they did. 

I do try to avoid food with an ingredient list that is: a) over an inch long and b) mostly in Latin or Greek.  Unless it's a complicated Greek recipe.  But you get the point.

I keep in mind Annie's observation: men are like raindrops and women are like snowflakes.  It seems to me that any diet that involves cult-like following of rules, meal plans, or no-no lists is not going to work for the snowflakes.  I'm not sure it works for the raindrops.  (For the raindrops: give up bread or beer, whichever you like more.  Don't ask me why, but it works for men.)

Right now, I am working not to stress as tax season begins.  I am eating pretty well, which I hope will help me feel better.  I am thinking about exercising.  I am going to a yoga class tomorrow.  Really. 

But I continue to have a disfunctional relationship with food.  I still get upset and eat a bag of cheetoes even though I know it will make me sick.  I still eat too much, too many Little Debbies, too few plants.  But I'm working on it.

No comments: