Thursday, May 21, 2009

Never say diet

I've heard from lots of people dozens of people a couple of people who have mentioned their Diets. I don't like to use that word, except in a very generic way or in relation to Diet Coke. Why? Because whenever I hear or read the word Diet, I get hungry.

I may have mentioned this... but I once worked with a woman who went on a medifast type diet. She bought $300 worth of shakes and bars and other really yucky looking stuff. She ate that at work. I felt compelled to make up for the imbalance in the food vortex by eating chili cheese dogs with extra onions. I don't know if she lost weight (other than from her wallet) but I gained weight. I was sort of pissed at myself, too, because I'd lost 20 lbs by eating mindfully and asking myself, "Do you really want the chili cheese dog with extra onions? Does it want you? OK, then, do you really want TWO?"

To all dieters (and to paraphrase Leonard Cohen, who was not talking about dieting): I've been where you're hanging and think I can see how you're pinned. I have Dieted. I have lost and I have regained. I have even fasted for very short periods of time (not counting the colonoscopy prep).

I was first told I was fat when I was about 6. I think the word was "baby fat" but let me tell you a secret. I wasn't fat. I wasn't even chubby. When I think about this now, I'm pissed off even more. Too bad being ticked doesn't use that many calories.

When I was in middle school, a time full of memories I had mostly repressed, my friend told me that fat girls like us shouldn't wear our shirts tucked in. Even though I knew she wasn't fat (maybe a little square shaped), I bought it and wore my shirt out for the next ... oh twenty years. I also wore those horrible smock things that were so popular in the mid-70s middle school crowd (along with "wings" in the hair). Who doesn't look fat in that?

I went through school thinking of myself as fat. After all, I couldn't see my feet. Of course, that might have been because I had breasts. I'm wondering if that might have had something to do with why my mom and my friends suggested I wear mumus. Hmmmm...

My parents often dieted, although I wasn't sure why Mom thought she needed to lose weight, and Dad seemed to gain weight when he dieted. I remember the weight charts on the wall of the bathroom. (See where I got my love of charts & other visual aids?) Dieting was what you did.

I remember my first diet book: Susan Dey writing about how she went from being a chubby kid to a svelte star of the Partridge Family. I followed her plan, although I can't remember what it was. I'm sure it involved salads with no dressing and dry toast. I shudder to think.

I tried the Woman Doctor's diet for Women. That was harsh. She seemed to believe that women are just fat sponges and the only way to defeat that is to avoid any food that tastes good. I did learn something from that book. Women and men are different (duh, they say, that explains the three children). No really... as Annie discusses in her post men are like raindrops, women are like snowflakes, men and women gain and lose weight differently. It took me awhile to figure out the part about how each woman gains and loses differently.

Although that plan was very restrictive, it was probably better than some of the other ones I've done.
  • The grapefruit diet (self-explanatory)
  • The dead doctor diet (Scarsdale diet, right after he'd been shot by his mistress the school mistress. Very specific diet and if she was on it, it explains her rage.)
  • Low carb when low carb wasn't cool. (Think "all the cool whip you can eat.")
  • Low carb when it was cool. I gained 10 lbs on the South Beach diet.
  • The Duke rice diet (not at Duke.)
  • The eat-one-lean-cuisine a day, ride an exercise bike for an hour a day and then go to Group Therapy and drink lots and lots of light beer until closing. I lost a good bit of weight on this one, but the side effects were unpleasant. I don't really remember them, but some people have pictures.

So now I try to learn the lessons of years of dieting.

This, I know:

  1. I can only lose weight for myself.
  2. If I lose weight, I won't suddenly be an extrovert, an organized person, or a ballerina.
  3. If something is forbidden, I WANT IT!
  4. Starving isn't pretty.
  5. There are no bad foods. There are some not so hot foods.
  6. I don't want to waste calories on food I don't like.
  7. I don't want to eat food that makes me feel like taking a shower afterwards.
  8. I LIKE fruits and veggies.
  9. Eat your dessert first, if that's what you want.
  10. Enjoy every sandwich.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow!! can i steal this for the angel way blog? this is GREAT!!! you summed it all up for me, sister!!!!!