Sunday, February 8, 2009

Day one: Eating the Angel Way --- Fast breakfast

One of my biggest obstacles to healthy AWE eating is my work schedule & breakfast.

I work at the church from about 6 a.m. to 8 a.m., then I drive to the country, stopping by the post office & maybe a fast food place, to open the office at 9 a.m. Although some fast food places offer "healthier" alternatives, their vegetables are still limited to pickles, lettuce, tomato, and onion. And you can't get most of those at breakfast.

I wake up about 20 minutes before I leave for work. Some days it's less than that. If I could get up earlier & fix breakfast at home, that would be nice. It's not going to happen, but it would be nice.

Alternatively, I could buy a Wildberry banana smoothie from McDonald's & make a rainbow breakfast burrito at work. I have a full-sized refrigerator & a large microwave. (I haven't been able to find nutrition information on the smoothie, so when I can, I'll try to make my own.)

The recipe:
At Home: chop & mix tomatoes, shredded carrots, corn, green peppers, scallions, & purple onions. Put this mixture in a plastic bag or container. (I've also used red, orange, and yellow bell peppers if they aren't too dear.)

At Work: Spray bowl (glass, plastic or paper) with olive oil spray. Add 1 egg & a handful of vegetable mix. Sprinkle on shredded cheese. Place a tortilla (I use whole wheat) over the bowl like a lid. Nuke for a minute, or until the egg is set.

Turn it over onto a plate & roll it up.

Don't leave dirty dishes in the sink. Your momma don't work here.

No comments: