Monday, February 23, 2009

Yellow food

Yellow is the color of sunshine and daisies. It is warm and healing and happy.

Yellow is the color of cowardice and jaundice. It is bilious and cynical.

Yellow is the center chakra --- the belly-button. It is related to digestion in the body and self-esteem & relationships in groups in the other.

Yellow is about how we fit in, how we fit in our bodies, how we fit with each other. Maybe. I'm not sure I understand that part.

I am an introvert, speaking in a Meyers-Briggs kind of way. I have taken that test many times and while some things change, I am usually an introvert & intuitive perceiver. I don't think that is something I want to adjust. I'm not sure anyone is saying I should change that. What this means is that although I enjoy company, I need to energize with alone time.

In most groups, I am comfortable, one way or the other. Sometimes I am a speaker, sometimes I am a listener. Comfort, of course, is a relative term. There is the "under the comforter with a cat and a good book and a soft fluffy pillow" kind of comfort. There is the "why are these people talking about their hairstyles and their tennis games please pass me a martini" kind of comfort. There are funerals, at which I am comfortable, although I wouldn't want to do it more often. There are weddings... ditto. I am almost always comfortable, even if I'm not happy about it. I don't think "these people don't want me here." I don't think "these people are going to kill me" (except for the time I stumbled into the Young Republican meeting in college, but I brought beer, so it was OK.) I think my comfort comes from oblivion as much as from self-confidence. (Hey, Kath, did you notice you were the only white person in the McDonald's in DC where you asked for directions? No, actually, I didn't. Is that why everyone stared at me? I thought it was my beauty.) But for whatever reason, it

Yellow food: bananas, squash, yellow peppers, lemons, grapefruit, starfruit, onions, pineapple, apples

Are there more yellow vegetables? It seems to be such a sweet color.

Bob made a great meal the other day, leaning toward the yellow and orange colors. It was shrimp, julienned carrots, squash, bok choy and onions, on whole wheat fettuccine with a garlic/white wine/lime sauce. I don't think there was a recipe. We'll have to make one up.

No comments: